If you’ve always wanted to go birding at Caddo Lake, but haven’t gotten around to it, a great opportunity is coming up soon. RESERVE YOUR CABIN NOW for this April event! More detailed information to come, but here’s the general outline:
Caddo Lake State Park Bird-a-Thon (fundraiser for TAS)
April 2-5, 2020. Trip begins officially early evening Thursday, April 2, with wine and cheese happy hour and ends noonish as we head home on Sunday, April 5.
Leaders: Terry Banks, Virginia Rose, Celeste Treadway.
Registration will be limited to 12 people in addition to leaders, so first come first served! Registration is $250, which includes 2.5 days of birding and a Pontoon boat tour. Reserve your spot here.
If you’d like to stay IN THE STATE PARK, click here to see cabins and registration information. NOTE: Registration does not include cabin reservation. You are responsible for reserving your cabin, and the registration will not be refunded due to inability to secure a cabin.
Cabins fill up quickly! Once they’re gone, choices will be non-cabin camping site or shelter if still available, or out-of-park lodging.
We usually wait until March to open registration for Birdathon teams, but since this event is dependent upon securing quick-filling lodging, we are posting this early. Watch the TAS site for more information around Birdathon time. Until then, good birding!
ANNOUCEMENT FROM Virginia Rose (1/30/20):
1. Shady Glade Hotel: 5 rooms with microwaves. Shady Glade also has nice trailers with kitchens. 903-789-3295. Clean not fancy.
2. Hodge Podge Cottages: 6 houses with two to three bedrooms per house. 903-789-3901. Clean not fancy.
3. Caddo Lake Cabins: 903-789-2063. I hear Cypress View Cabin is nice!
Lodging in Jefferson, a really neat town to explore, and where we will eat some suppers is 25 minutes away from cabins.
1. Carriage House B&B: 903-665-9511.
2. Kahn Hotel: 10 rooms, 903-665-2631.
3. Mama Dean’s House: 903-720-6460, rooms with full kitchen.
4. The White Oak Manor B&B: 903-665-8185
Restaurants nearest the state park:
1. Shady Glade Cafe (or under new name, Rusty Mule.) Situated 5 minutes away from state park cabins and is the site of Bayou Boat Tour.
2. Riverbend Restaurant. No website.
In the town of Jefferson:
1. McGarity’s Restaurant
2. Auntie Skinner’s Riverboat Club. No website.