This is the Austin Area Rare Bird Alert and has been updated through 4/23/2017. To report rare or unusual bird sightings in the Austin area, provide recent sighting updates, or inquire about location details on birds listed below, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If submitting a bird sighting, please include species name, location details, and contact information.
Rarities Found This Week
- A WHITE-TAILED KITE was found off Earhardt Rd just off FM 969 in Bastrop County on 4/16.
- A SWALLOW-TAILED KITE was reported flying over Hornsby Bend, Travis County, on 4/15.
- A HARRIS’S HAWK was reported 1/2 mile N of Hwy 87 and CR 219 in Gonzales County on 4/20.
- A ZONE-TAILED HAWK was reported from Little Webberville Park off FM 969 just west of the town of Webberville, Travis County, on 4/20.
- A PIPING PLOVER was found at Hornsby Bend, Travis County, on 4/22. The bird was seen in the northwest corner of Pond 1 West.
- A LAUGHING GULL was photographed off of Toll Bridge Rd near IH 35 South of Belton, Bell County, on 4/10. The bird was likely encountered along the Lampasas River. Another bird was photographed flying over Lake Travis at Windy Point Park, Travis County, on 4/11.
- A RINGED KINGFISHER was reported from LBJ State Park & Historic Site in Gillespie County on 4/22.
- A HUTTON’S VIREO was photographed at an inaccessible tract of land on the Balcones Canyonlands NWR northwest of Austin, Travis County, on 4/18 and continues through 4/22. A pair of birds were photographed off Lime Creek Rd in Volente, Travis County, on 4/20.
- A WOOD THRUSH was heard and recorded on private property across from St. Edwards Park, Travis County, on 4/18. Another bird was reported from Warbler Woods in Guadalupe County on 4/12.
- A WORM-EATING WARBLER was reported off Cow Creek Rd in NW Travis County on 4/22. This is in the vicinity of the Balcones Canyonlands NWR. Another bird was photographed at a private residence off FM 466 in Gonzales County on 4/15.
- A LAZULI BUNTING was found on a private tract of the Balcones Canyonlands Preserve (BCP) off of FM 620 and FM 2222 in west Austin, Travis County, on 4/20. The bird was in with a group of Indigo Buntings.
Continuing Bird(s) From Previous Week
- Two LEAST GREBEs continue in Williamson County through 4/16 off Parksville Way and Fairweather Way. Another Grebe was found off Witter Lane in Bell County on 4/22.
- An over-wintering BROAD-TAILED HUMMINGBIRD continues at a private residence in South Austin, Travis, on 4/20.
- At least one GREAT KISKADEE continues at a private residence off Dickerson Rd in Caldwell County on 4/20. Another bird continues at Decker Lake of Decker Ln in East Austin, Travis County, on 4/13.
- A HUTTON’S VIREO continues at Warbler Woods, Guadalupe County, on 4/20.
- The long-staying WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH continues at Riverview Park in Seguin, Guadalupe County, on 4/21. The bird was last reported near the main pavilion.